Become an Au Pair
An au pair is a cultural exchange participant between the ages of 18 and 26 who travels to the United States on the J-1 Visitor Exchange Visa to provide childcare in exchange for the experience to live with and become part of an American family.
About the Au Pair Program
An au pair is a young international visitor who lives with a host family as part of an international cultural exchange program. The au pair program is a great way to experience the USA! Au Pairs live with their host family and provide up to 45 hours of childcare per week, in exchange for accommodations, a weekly stipend, and money to study in the USA. Our program allows au pairs to experience American education, life, and culture in an affordable international program!
Standard au pairs earn a minimum weekly stipend of $195.75. The U.S. Department of State calculation of the minimum weekly stipend is based on the federal minimum wage with a 40% deduction for room and board in exchange for childcare services. Host families and au pairs are free to agree to compensation higher than the legally applicable minimum.
Benefits of the Au Pair Program:
- Experience American life and culture
- Gain valuable international travel and global experience
- Improve your English language skills
- Become more independent and self-confident
- Make new friends from around the world
Agent Au Pair offers 3 program options: Standard Au Pair Program, TutorCare Program, and Au Pair Pro Program.
How can you benefit from being an au pair?
Housing & Travel
- A private bedroom with a pre-screened host family
- Round trip airfare to the United States from your home country
- Two weeks paid vacation & one full weekend off per month
- 30 days to travel the country upon the successful completion of your program
- All au pairs attend Au Pair School at the beginning of their program.
- Standard Au Pairs receive up to $500 for enrollment in an accredited post-secondary institution for 6 units of academic credit or its equivalent. (TutorCare Au Pairs receive up to $1,000 for 12 semester credits or equivalent)
- Au pairs who extend their visa are required to take additional 3 – 6 credits based on their extension
- Agent Au Pair infuses Renzulli teaching methods into our program to elevate its learning benefits. Au pairs are trained in Renzulli methods and leverage the Renzulli Learning System.
- As a member of Agent Au Pair, au pairs have the option to take a free online course and receive 9 Contact Hours from the University of Connecticut that they can put on their resume!
The U.S. Department of State calculation of the minimum weekly stipend is based on the federal minimum wage with a 40% deduction for room and board in exchange for childcare services. Host families and au pairs are free to agree to compensation higher than the legally applicable minimum.
Requirements to be an Au Pair
In order to become an au pair, you must meet the U.S. Department of State Requirements to be qualified for the au pair program. The requirements and regulations are the same for all Au Pair Programs in the United States.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 26 when they arrive in the USA
- Be available for a 12 month cultural exchange program (with the option to extend 6, 9, or 12 months)
- Have at least 500 hours of previous childcare experience with non family members
- Have good English language skills – Minimum B1 level of English
- Be a secondary school graduate or equivalent
- Be in good health and have no criminal record
- Have a driver’s license
** To care for children under the age of two, au pair candidates must have at least 200 hours of previous childcare experience with children under the age of two.
Agent Au Pair supports program participation from all nations, but obtaining a J-1 Visa may be challenging in some countries.
Learn More about becoming an au pair with Agent Au Pair by reading our brochure!
Ready to Get Started?
START YOUR FREE APPLICATION TODAY!