Au Pair Qualifications
The United States Department of State has designated Agent Au Pair as a sponsoring organization for the Au Pair Cultural Exchange Program. The requirements and guidelines for participation in our program are determined by the US Department of State and are the same for all Au Pair Programs in the United States.
To be an au pair, candidates must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 26 when they arrive in the USA
- Be available for a 12 month cultural exchange program
- Have previous childcare experience
- Have good English language skills*
- Be a secondary school graduate or equivalent
- Be in good health and have no criminal record
- Have a driver’s license
Please note: To care for children under the age of two, au pair candidates must have at least 200 hours of previous childcare experience with children under the age of two. Agent Au Pair supports program participation from all nations, but obtaining a J-1 Visa may be challenging in some countries.
*Though official English language test scores are not required as part of the application process, submitting test results would be beneficial. Please see our score conversion chart.