Childcare Expenses

Agent Au Pair advises host families to discuss claiming the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit for the weekly payments given to their au pair with a tax advisor. We recommend that host families help their au pair get a social security number.

How can my au pair obtain a social security number?

Au pairs can obtain their social security number by applying at your local Social Security Office for a “work only with DHS authorization” social security card. Au pairs can apply for their social security card one week after they arrive in the United States.

To obtain a Social Security Card, the au pair will need:
  • A valid passport containing their J-1 Visa
  • I-94 card printed out
  • DS-2019 form
  • Proof of Identification that is at least one year old (passport, driver’s license, certified copy of birth certificate that is one year old)

Agent Au Pair’s Tax ID: 94-3407180